If you are looking to expand your professional network, stay on top of industry trends, or promote yourself - then LinkedIn is the site for you! There are so many benefits. For example, you can explore company profiles, search for employees at a business of interest, share your thoughts with professionals in the same industry, and discover new career opportunities.
Once you create an account, the first step will be to develop a profile that represents the best version of you! So how do you make that happen?
Here are 8 tips to get you started:
- Background Image - Make sure you choose a background image that is subtle and professional. Perhaps choose an image that has a solid background with a subtle color.
- Profile Picture - Select a recent, high-quality picture that shows you smiling and looking professional. Consider taking a photo specifically for LinkedIn so that it shows you are serious about your career.
- Headline – Use your current job title. If your position was eliminated due to technology, do some research to see how your skills can translate into another occupation.
- Industry – Select the industry that best aligns with your skillset.
- Contact – Share your email address for active networking. Make sure that your email address appears professional like your first initial with your last name. Consider creating another email account to keep your personal life separate from your professional business.
- Profile Summary – Take this opportunity to describe your skills, work ethic, and the value you bring to the table.
- Experience – Include the last 10 years of your work experience to include job title, company name, years of employment, and one bullet to summarize your responsibilities, and an accomplishment if possible. The idea is to be informative yet brief to peak the interest of others.
- Recommendations – Connect with previous supervisors and request a recommendation. This will be how you can truly stand out from other candidates with the same or similar job title.
Once these items are in place, you will be better equipped to network, fine-tune your interests, and continue to build upon this foundation. There will always be opportunities… the key is brand yourself with the right tool to ensure you stand out from the competition!
Written by Melanie Rebottini.